Untitled collage by Danger // back-cover image for Bad Trip
Thanks to the fearless “trip reporters” who contributed accounts of their psychedelic nightmares to Bad Trip. Demented drug freakouts chronicled in the zine include:
- "We Lost Control" by Jake N. (Minneapolis, MN)
- "Acid No-Man’s-Land" by Dante Garcia (Mexico City)
- "Larval Horrors" by Candice Egan (Ottawa, ON)
- "Anatomy Lesson" by Sarah S. (Petoskey, MI)
- "Drug Monster" by John Cody Edgar (Pittsburgh, PA)
- "Hallucinatory Suicide Blunder" by Alec Essefic (St. Paul, MN)
- "Lost Forever in Darkness" by Cliff S. (St. Paul, MN)
Photos from the Bad Trip release party
Alien art made by guests at the Bad Trip release party
Those who attended the Bad Trip release party on April 26 were invited to create their own works of alien art — either by making a freehand sketch or by coloring one of the alien-face patterns provided.
"Genital aliens" drawn by a guest at the Bad Trip release party
"Neglected Veteran" (detail) by Danger
Special thanks to Los Angeles collage artist Danger for contributing the cover art for Bad Trip.
Previously a designer with Feral House, he created the haunting tableau that graces the cover of James Shelby Downard’s partial autobiography “The Carnivals of Life and Death,” along with designing the cover for one of the Feral House catalogs.
Danger is also in the weird-books business. The owner of the infamous Amok Bookshop in Hollywood for several years, he now sells odd, esoteric and outré books online at unusualbooks-koma.blogspot.com.
Have you suffered through the infinite horror of a “bad trip” psychedelic drug experience? Endured unending psychic agony while trapped forever in the abyss of acid hallucinations? Been besieged by rapacious soul-mutilation demons during a magic mushroom death trip? Ugly salvia freakout? Demented DMT hell-plunge? Brain-frying out-of-body ketamine terror?
The time has come to put it in writing, tortured psychonaut.
Short accounts of nightmarish psychedelic drug experiences are being sought for BAD TRIP, a one-shot zine that will be published in April 2014 by Furtive Labors. Submission guidelines can be found here.
- Submissions may be up to 200 words in length. Brevity is preferred — submissions of just one or two sentences are especially encouraged.
- Submission deadline is March 14, 2014.
- Email submissions to email@example.com with the subject line “Bad Trip submission.” Submissions should be included as part of the body text of the email; no attachments, please.
- Include your name, city of residence, and, if you’re feeling ambitious, a short third-person bio. (Bios are optional.) If you’d like your submission published under a pseudonym, please note that in your email.
- We may not be able to respond to all submissions. Those whose submissions are accepted for publication will be notified within two weeks.
- Editors reserve the right to edit submissions for content and length.
- As payment, those published in Bad Trip will receive a copy of the print zine.